Posts are chronological in nature and are not included in the regular navigation menus. If the update you are wanting to make should never go into the archives then you need to be adding a page rather than a post and you should read the adding pages tutorial instead.
Make sure you are logged in to your admin area. Click here if you are not sure how to do this.
- From any screen you may be working in you can click on the posts menu button on the left or hover over it for more options.
- When you click on the posts menu link it will bring up a chronological list of posts that have already been published.
- Beware that this list is paginated so if you have more than 10 posts total some might be on additional admin pages
- You can navigate through at the top or bottom of the list on the right side.
- You can also use the search form on the upper right to find the post you are needing to edit.
- To edit any of the existing posts simply click on the title of the post you want to edit. For this tutorial we will be adding a new post, but to edit an existing one is pretty much the same process.
- To add a new post you would click an “add new” button – these are in several different places for your convenience; a specific place is on the left side menu under All Posts.
- When the admin page loads you have several different areas or fields that you can work with. Each one displays content on the web page that it creates on the front end in different ways.
- The first field is the title – name your post something simple. Think of it as a newspaper headline - you want to get the point across, but not be too wordy.
- The next field is the main body content of the page. Here you can add as much information as you need to build your page. You have rich text formatting options such as bold and italicize. It is similar in usage to the word processor you have used for years.
- You can also add images, videos, music, documents and even links to your page using the add media or add link dialogs which is explained further in the tutorial named Adding and Editing media.
- Lets assume you are happy with the content you have added and are ready to add it to the website. To make it live you click the blue publish/update button on the upper right. You can then click the view page button to see the results.
- Feel free to go back and edit as much as you need to get the desired results… you cannot break this system beyond the point that Your-Web-Guys can't fix it so feel free to play with it and see what different things do.
- Make sure you select a category to display the post in or else it will default to the News & Updates category automatically. For more on categories and how to use them read the tutorial entitled Working With Categories
These are the most important fields to work with. There are many other dialog boxes or panes which we will cover in other tutorials or that may be so specific to your site we will instruct you on them individually.
If you have any trouble with this process, please send us a support email we are always happy to help.← FAQ’s